Monday, June 04, 2007

Shame of War: a new book on sexual violence against women and girls in conflict

Via:IRINnews.org
Photo: IRIN

"While I was still standing up he was taking off my shirt, and then he pushed me to the ground. I felt so much pain when he raped me. He just left me there."
(11-year-old girl in Democratic Republic of Congo)

*‘The Shame of War: sexual violence against women and girls in conflict’ - a reference book and photo essay of portraits and testimonies of the sexual violence women suffer when men go to war. It examines the scope and nature of this violence and looks at the different ways the international community is addressing sexual violence against women and girls during and after conflict. Above all, the aim of this book is to inform, to shock and to join the voices saying ‘Enough!’ Sexual violence against women and girls does not have to be an inevitable consequence of war."

Click here to read the full article!

No comments: