Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Moment of Success…

By: Nasir Al-Amin
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Reflections from Ethiopia

A few months back I wrote about one of the young men ALIF sponsors that graduated from Addis Ababa University. I cannot begin to express how proud I am of him and the feeling I had when hearing of his accomplishment. On Sunday, November 29th during a celebration ALIF was hosting for the kids we serve he pulled me to the side asking if we could talk. After finding a place to sit and an exchange of warm greetings he said, “Thank you for everything you’ve done for me, but I want to tell you I have a job now. And I make enough to take care of myself and my grandmother, so you can give the money to someone else who needs it.”

My aim has always been to help people get to a point where they don’t need my assistance, and this young man no longer needs it.

“To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerso

No comments: