Wednesday, March 26, 2008

(Columbia University) Presentation: Hearing their Voice

I would like to thank Prof. Marion Riedel of Columbia University and the AGPP Student Caucus of Columbia's School of Social Work for the invitation to present on my work with orphans and commercial sex workers in Ethiopia through ALIF.  One of my aims behind establishing ALIF was to create a medium and/or platform that would amplify the voice of the poor and underserved.  In order to amplify their voice, it first has to be heard and noted, and the accumulation of their voice is identified as a Needs Assessment. While studying at Columbia, one of the courses I took while pursing my Masters was Program Development and Evaluation, with Prof. Riedel.  One of the many skills that Prof. Riedel emphasized was beginning an initiative with a Needs Assessment, essentially their voice.  I have been blessed with the opportunity to walk alongside the poor and in some cases, I've been able to serve them as well--and at the core of that service is hearing their voice--performing a Needs Assessment. 

Again, I'm deeply in debt to Prof. Riedel, Prof. Robertson and other faculty members at Columbia for accentuating the value of their voice.

Thank you,
Nasir Al-Amin

No comments: