Thursday, November 22, 2007

Genet's story: A life on the streets

Source: BBC News
Photo: David Levene/EveryChild

Article: Genet's story: A life on the streets

*The following are excerpts from the aforementioned article:

~ Violence and sexual abuse within the home are among the main reasons children run away to live on the streets, according to a report, the State of the World's Street Children, published by a coalition of charities.

~In Ethiopia, an estimated 150,000 children live on the streets.

~I was forced to go to bed with the male relative who we had been sent to live with and a woman in the household frequently beat us both.

~After being beaten and verbally abused, I decided to take my chances on the streets.

~I was pretty sure that the man was also sexually abusing my 11-year-old sister too.

~I find it very difficult to talk about my time on the streets of Addis. I survived there as best I could for over two months. I was often very hungry.

Click here to read the full article!

*Note the abovementioned excerpts are direct quotes from the article and thus all credit and references should be afforded to the authors/sources.

No comments: